Mobile Menders Making A Difference
Mobile Menders is passionate about keeping clothes out of our landfills. We achieve this by working together with people to repair their clothing and teach simple sewing skills.
Mobile Menders has helped repair the following items in 2018
Month People Served Number of items repaired Pounds of clothing repaired
January 39 72 89
February 75 139 153.5
March 37 76 76.5
April 63 266 535 **
May 35 71 74.5
June 125 218 265
Totals are updated at the end of the month
**April totals include the dresses Mobile Menders sewed for Operation Glass Slipper**
In 2017 (June - December) Mobile Menders saved approximately 350 pounds of clothing from our landfills and mended 275 items.
"Thank you Mobile Menders for your amazing work in transforming the lives of our clients through mending their clothes. Whether it is fixing a zipper in a winter coat so someone can stay warm and protected this winter or it is mending a beloved shirt or it is mending an outfit to wear for school or a potential job, you are truly making a huge impact on the lives of people experiencing homelessness. THANK YOU!" ~ House of Charity
"I am very delighted that this event had such a wonderful turnout! The residents always have wonderful stories to share. We would love for you to come back, the residents will be thrilled." ~Ebenezer Tower Apartments
"From the Bros at Christ Recovery Center, we thank all of you for your visit and the sewing you did for us. God bless you and your ministry!!! ~ Union Gospel Mission
"First thank you so much for the repairs to some of the clothes I like but were unwearable. Second, thank you for being so fun to hang out with.... Third, I'm looking forward to seeing you again, keep me updated. " ~ HOPE Harbor Resident
""Thank you Mobile Menders! You really do impact the lives of our clients in more ways than you ever think. You are all such a blessing to us! Thank you so much for changing lives one stitch at a time!" ~ House of Charity
Thank you notes received from House of Charity residents:
- Thank you so much. You fix my zipper on my winter jacket. Without you I would’ve had to throw it away.
- I thank you for coming when you didn’t have to.
- Thank you for helping us stay looking good it means a lot to all of us. Thank you for going out of your way for us.
- Thank you for coming to HOC to help us fix our clothes.
- Thank you for giving your time. You are wonderful people.
- Thank you so much for taking the time out of your life to help us fix our clothes. You are wonderful!
- Thank you for coming and helping us out. We appreciate it. You are awesome!
- The average US citizen throws away 70 pounds of clothing and textiles annually
- The average pair of jeans uses more than 1,800 gallons of water to make
- One T-Shirt can take 70 gallons of water and nearly nine pounds of fossil fuels to produce
**Source: Council for Textile Recycling**
Interested in volunteering? Volunteer opportunities can be found here Volunteer Opportunities